Named for the springs that took on a blue color in certain lights, the community of Blue Springs was organized as part of Jackson County in 1827. The settlement growth continued near the spring until 1878 when the Chicago and Alton Railroad announced plans to build a station about one mile east of the original settlement. The town moved its center to the site of the new station and continued its development as a rural trading center.
The Jackson County Court granted the incorporation of Blue Springs on September 7, 1880, making the City the fourth settlement in the county, predating Kansas City, Missouri. The city has continued to grow and prosper, and today the population is over 55,000.
Historical attractions in the area include Missouri Town 1855, Fort Osage the Dillingham-Lewis House Museum, and the 1926 Chicago & Alton Train Depot. A city-wide fundraising effort to save the depot from demolition was started in July, 2011. The depot was moved to Central Park on June 29, 2012 with the help of many volunteers and donated services from many contractors and businesses. The depot will be restored and serve the community as a museum.
In Independence, just minutes from Blue Springs, historical Harry Truman sites are a tribute to one of the greatest American presidents ever.